In this post, I would like to share my experience with social networking especially facebook. My intention is not to suggest to get rid of these social platforms, however, be cognizant about its impact on our lives.
I have been trying to get rid of facebook addiction & other social networking platforms. I realized that social media platforms are becoming more & more sweet poison which impacts my social behaviour. And, Here are my reasons why I decided to use it just to keep my connections with my friends but not to get addicted of it.
- Wasting my precious hours of work early in the morning. Also, got addicted to that Every hour or so, I used to check Facebook. The only thing needed to know if someone has replied to my post or like my shared post or not.
- Lots of fake news & manipulative articles.
- Reading others useless posts.
- Too much politics & garbage point of views.
Some of the few tricks to get rid of social media addiction:
- Must log out after use & Enable two-factor authentication in login: Social media apps are an auto sign in & never asked for login again. This is one simple technique to keep the user on the site. You can use the opposite of these techniques to make it hard for yourself to just hit & use it without login. Just try it. it works.
- Remove all social media apps from your smartphone: I know it seems strange but the root cause of this addiction is your smartphone & apps which notify (i.e little red number on top of your app). But you have got to stop that. At least stop notification of these apps. And the sound of these notifications as well.
- Stop putting your phone under your pillow: Yes you got to keep your phone away and keep that device at the table. if there is an emergency, someone would give a call. No need to keep phone under the pillow. Buy an alarm clock if you use the phone to wake you up in the morning.
- No need to carry a phone everywhere: What I meant is that it is not required in your meeting, dinner, breakfast, walking or talking to a real person. No need to carry your phone with you. If you are with someone, no need to carry this distractor with you. Enjoy the real conversation who may be more supportive/understandable than your Whatsapp messages.
- Understand the purpose of technology: These devices are very important and solve real problems but let’s not depend on too much. Understand what you can do without it and when you need it. it is not that hard. just give a try.
The reality of Social Media, Psychology & Addiction
It’s not easy to get rid of social media. because it is our life now that we check Facebook before checking time forget about saying good morning to family members. However, we do one thing & that is, Forward good morning messages to 10 people who are not around. It’s hard to understand Psychology behind it but this is the reality now. Watch an interesting video about it.
It’s not easy & we can’t avoid these things because technology does help to connect. However, I would again say the same that you have to get rid of your addiction. And feel the world without these tiny devices. Talk to real human who are sitting next to you rather than messaging someone who is thousands mile way. Talking to a stranger isn’t that bad. It could be a good experience just like talking on WhatsApp.